|3 years - 20°C powder
|USP of Products
Sucroferric oxyhydroxide is used to prevent and treat high phosphorus levels in the blood of patients with chronic kidney disease that are on dialysis.
Description of Sucroferric Oxyhydroxide
Sucroferric oxyhydroxide works by lowering the amount of phosphorus the body absorbs from food. It belongs to a group of medications called phosphate binders.
Application of Sucroferric Oxyhydroxide
- Phosphate Binder: It is primarily used as a phosphate binder in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) on dialysis. Sucroferric oxyhydroxide helps to reduce serum phosphate levels in these patients.
- Hyperphosphatemia Management: Effective in the treatment of hyperphosphatemia (high phosphate levels in the blood) in adult patients with CKD on hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.
- Lowering Phosphate Absorption: It works by binding to dietary phosphate in the gastrointestinal tract, thereby reducing phosphate absorption into the bloodstream.
- Reducing Pill Burden: Due to its high phosphate binding capacity, it can be taken in lower doses compared to other phosphate binders, which potentially reduces the pill burden for patients.
- Improving Mineral & Bone Disorder in CKD: By controlling phosphate levels, it contributes to the management of mineral and bone disorder associated with chronic kidney disease.
- Non-Calcium, Non-Aluminum Based Binder: Offers an alternative for patients who may have complications or contraindications with calcium or aluminum-based phosphate binders.
- Gastrointestinal Tolerability: Generally well-tolerated with a lower incidence of gastrointestinal side effects compared to some other phosphate binders.
- Research in Non-Dialysis CKD Patients: While primarily used in dialysis patients, there is ongoing research into its effectiveness and safety in CKD patients who are not yet on dialysis.
- Potential Cardiovascular Benefits: By managing phosphate levels, it may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular issues, which are common complications in patients with CKD.